According to the Wikipedia “Philology” is the study of language in written historical sources; it is a combination of literary criticism, history, and linguistics. It is more commonly defined as the study of literary texts and written records, the establishment of their authenticity and their original form, and the determination of their meaning. A person who pursues this kind of study is known as a philologist.
There is a sort of humor (among the scientists and learners of this discipline) called philological. In most cases it uses malapropism with its humorous results when we have wrong words (mostly homonyms) in a wrong or correct place.
That is so fun! Sometimes though it sounds funny.
The best examples that I have found are the comic strips by Mike Franklin.
Let’s study the following:
Don’t forget to learn new set of words!
- Assignation is the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning;
- A cig nation (from the “cigar” abbreviation) is Serbia. Yes, they can be called the heaviest smokers ever!
- Lamination is division into thin plates or sheets, as of rock; a structure so divided.
- Lamby nation (from the word “lamb” – a young sheep) is New Zeland. One friend of mine worked at lamb farms until he could collect $100.000 and start his new business.
- Carnation is Eurasian plant with pink to purple- red spice- scented usually double flowers; widely cultivated in many varieties and many colors.
- Car (from the word “car”) nation is Japan as they create the most Japanese cars! I’ve got Japanese car and I think it is built to last a lifetime.
- Stagnation is the state of being without motion; the cessation of action; state of being dull.
- Stag is an adult male deer. Of course, you will find lots of animals in Siberia. Sometimes it looks like there is stagnation there, though it’s just one of the most sparsely populated regions on Earth.
- Abomination is anything hateful, wicked, or shamefully vile; an object or state that excites disgust and hatred; a hateful or shameful vice; pollution.
- A bomby nation (from the word “bomb”).
- FYI: WW2 is World War Two
- Semination is the act of sowing; the natural dispersion of seeds.
- Semi is a common prefix, signifying half; half of; in part; partially; the compounds of semi are for the most part easily understood, if the meaning of the latter part is known; a hyphen is usually placed after semi. Grenada is an island country consisting of Grenada itself and six smaller islands. The population there consists of the African, Carib and Arawak, Indian, and a small community of French and English descendants.
- Damnation is condemnation to everlasting perdition: that perdition itself; a crime that merits it; condemnation.
- Dam is a bank or wall across a watercourse; any man-made contrivance to stop the flow of water or gas.
- Urination is the passing of urine.