The subject of Modality is not the easiest, so let’s try to do it following the grammar steps. Check out the grammar page and be sure that you can do it.
Now as you refreshed the lists of Modality, let’s start:
Connect the lists of the expressions with the lists of the modal verbs:
1) Ability, possibility (real or supposed), doubt about the possibility of something, reproach, lost opportunity, demand, permission, prohibition, supposition, intention.
2) Real possibility, reproach (only might), supposition with lack of confidence, demand, permission, prohibition, wish.
3) Necessity, duty, responsibility, a piece of advice, strict prohibition, confident supposition, insistent demand.
5) had to,
7) be able to
That exercise was too easy! This one should be different:
Construct phrases using the following words:
be able to, may, could, can, had to, might, must
- I’m sorry, but I don’t think I’__ __ do it.
- You __ be wrong! It is not true. Everything should be all right with them!
- You __ come in. Feel yourself at home.
- __ you, please, repeat what you’ve just said?
- They made me look for their dog everywhere. I even __ __ go to the forest in the evening! __ you imagine that? Their dog __ __ __ hide in the house till late in the evening.
- They __ be right. I don’t trust them, however.
- Sorry, __ I restart the speech?
Answer the questions changing the possibility to the order:
- May I come in?
- Can you swim?
- Could you please turn the radio down?
- Are we able to jump now?
- Can I start in one second?
- Can we avoid these answers?
- Could you do it yourself?